PowerCLI Command to Reload a VMX

Have you ever been in a situation where you've needed to reload a VM's VMX file?  It's not very common, but it does happen occasionally.  VMware has a KB Article about how to do it, but it requires vim-cmd, which means that you need access to the host's CLI.  This isn't that big of a deal, unless you need to reload a lot of VMs that are scattered across many ESXi hosts.  Fortunately, Techazine has posted an article about a technique that reloads all invalid VMs via PowerCLI.  In my use case, I only needed to target a small set of VMs, so I just used that technique as follows:

@("VM1","VM2","VM3") | % {(get-vm $_ | get-view).reload()}

Comments

  1. Nice! Works well, VMWare should document this method, very useful for multiple ESXi hosts or quickly targeting a single VM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sorry guys, I've been getting a lot of spam recently, so I've had to turn on comment moderation. I'll do my best to moderate them swiftly after they're submitted,

Popular posts from this blog

PowerShell Sorting by Multiple Columns

Clone a Standard vSwitch from one ESXi Host to Another

Deleting Orphaned (AKA Zombie) VMDK Files